The FHQ Arma Toolbox for Blender, as its name implies, is a set of tools for the free, open-source 3D modeller package Blender. It was written from scratch and currently is mainly an exporter for P3D files from within Blender, although I have plans to extend it further in the future.
The archive contains a user manual, please consult the manual for information on how to install this.Download
(Please also note the nice orange “Donate” button to the left 🙂 )
What does it do?
The Arma Toolbox allows you to create models for the Arma games series (including Arma 2, Operation Arrowhead and Arma 3) from Blender. It currently doesn’t cover every aspect of the RealVirtuality engine, but can be used comfortably for most of the tasks associated with modding. I use it for my own weapon models, and as a matter of fact, I don’t need to pipe them through O2 anymore – Arma Toolbox is powerful enough to save my model directly from Blender and re-pack the addon with BinPBO.
Currently, the Arma Toolbox features the following capabilities:
- Sharp Edges. Sharp Edges are exported correctly by either flagging them as Sharp or using flat shaded. No need for edge splitting or for using another program to define smoothing groups.
- All-in-one editing. A single .blend file can hold all your model’s LOD’s, including Memory and Geometry. For example, I use layers to organize my models, with the render LOD’s in layers 1 to 5, the Pilot View in layer 6, shadow volumes in layers 7 and 8, Geometry in layer 9 and Memory in layer 10, but you can have your LODS anywhere, even all in one layer.
- Specific Arma Properties. The Arma Toolbox adds extra properties to your objects like Named Properties and Mass.
- Support for Named Selections. Vertex Groups are exported as named Selections, along with vertex weigts.
- Support for face textures and rvmats. Blender’s internal materials are extended to carry extra information on face textures and rvmats.
- Proxy Support. You can now insert proxies automatically
- Importer. Now that the MLODS for all Arma games are released, you need an importer, right? 😉
- RTM Export. Arma Toolbox can now export RTM animation files ready to go.
The following are features I plan to add in the near and not-so-near future:
- Bulldozer support. View your object in bulldozer just like you could from O2.
- model.cfg editing. Define simple animations in model.cfg visually in Blender.
Although I have written this Blender addon myself from scratch, I have to credit Leopotam for his original Blender export plugin, which served not only as the inspiration for this work but also brought me to try modding Arma 2 in the first place.
So far, I have done only weapons myself, and this Blender plugin has been developed with my specific needs in mind. However, I’d like to extend the scope so that it is useful for more people. I am quite sure that it already is useful for more than weapon modding in its current form, but if you are a modder and use Blender (and the Arma Toolbox) for your modding, I’d love to hear from you about what you would like to see in the Arma Toobox. I can be reached as Hans-Joerg@friedenhq.org, or by my account Alwarren on the BI forums.